Friday, 3 October 2014

Blast from the Craft Update

So, in case you didn't know, I also run a little online shop on a brilliant website called Folksy. In my shop, 'Blast from the Craft' I make and sell stationery and home-wares made from unloved and damaged children's books. To be honest, the shops been a bit neglected over the last few months, so I thought it was about time I got my craft supplies out and got to work on some new stock!

In the past I've been super lucky with the bits and pieces I've been able to source for my items. I've always made it my mission to never use a readable book in my projects, cutting up a perfectly healthy book has never really sat right with me. I like the idea of taking something a bit battered and useless and turning it into something new. However trying to find damaged books before they end up in a bin can be tricky and takes a fair amount of rummaging in dark corners of second hand shops! Luckily all the dust and grime has paid off, my favourite find was a pair of 1950's Janet and John books, which despite missing a few pages and being scribbled on in orange crayon, had some really sweet illustrations and can now be found at the shop in bunting and fairy light form.


So, to kick off my quest for new stock, I headed down to Pimlico car boot sale in south east London last week and found these cute playing cards covered in cat illustrations, which I'm hoping to turn into bunting this weekend Or if you have any suggestions for what these cute little cards could be turned into feel free to drop me a line :-)

As well as resuming my search for quirky bits and bobs, I also felt that the shop needed a bit of a face lift. I haven't really done anything to it since i set it up so today i brushed up on my (limited) Photoshop skills and created an actual logo and banner which I'm super excited about! 

So hopefully I'll have some more awesome shop news for you soon, in the mean time, if you wanted to check out the kind of things I make, you can find my shop here. Or alternatively, we also have a Facebook page! 



No comments:

Post a Comment